Support Connection, Inc., a not-for-profit organization offering free support services to people affected by breast and ovarian cancer, is still accepting registrations for their 19th Annual Support-A-Walk for Breast and Ovarian Cancer.
The Support-A-Walk will take place on Sunday, October 6, 2013 (rain or shine) at FDR Park, Route 202, Yorktown Heights, NY. It is held to bring attention to the needs of people living with breast and ovarian cancer and to raise funds for Support Connection’s free support services for those living with these diseases. Advance registration is strongly recommended; close to 10,000 people attended in 2012.
The Support-A-Walk was founded nineteen years ago by local residents as a way to focus attention on breast and ovarian cancer. Each year, thousands of people take part in this spirited, uplifting event. Participants complete a 3-mile walk, often in honor of loved ones – a celebration of life and a tribute to those affected by breast and ovarian cancer. Families, friends, co-workers and teams of walkers are invited to walk together. Individuals are also welcome.
For those who attend and even those who are unable to attend, donations are gratefully accepted. People can also fundraise for the event with or without attending.
To pre-register or make a donation:
- Visit www.supportconnection.org.
- Call 914-962-6402
- Visit the Support Connection office (40 Triangle Center, Suite 100 Yorktown Heights, NY): Until Sept. 20: Weekdays 10 am - 5 pm; Starting Sept. 23: Weekdays 10 am - 7 pm; Sat., Sept. 28: 9 am – 2 pm
for the 19th Annual Support-A-Walk on October 6th is as
- 9 am: Pre-walk activities and entertainment including music. Complimentary Team Photos.
- 9:15 am: Welcoming remarks and reflections on the meaning of the day.
- 9:30 am: Warm-up and stretching to music, led by staff from Club Fit.
- 10 am: Ribbon-cutting ceremony and the Walk begins!
Throughout the morning there will be awareness jewelry and stamps, greeting cards, and other merchandise available, as well as information about Support Connection’s free breast and ovarian cancer support groups, programs and services. There will also be a “Survivors Welcome Area” near the main tent, where volunteers will greet and welcome cancer survivors, and present a token of recognition to each survivor.To learn more about the Support-A-Walk or Support Connection’s free services, call 914-962-6402 or visit www.supportconnection.org.