With the horrible tragedy of the home fire during the holiday season in Stamford, CT, I was reminded that I had not checked my own smoke alarm in some time.
I invited my friend "Fireman Joe" Pascarelli over to talk about fire safety in the home and when we checked my main smoke detector at the top of the stairs on my second-floor landing I was distressed to find that it was dead as a doornail. We took the time to install a new battery and, further, to place three more smoke detectors in critical areas of my home.
I had already shot some video of Joe presenting his fire safety show at Van Cortlandtville Elementary School in Mohegan Lake and, in this video, I combine his tips to kids with some adult talk about fire safety in the home.
Don't wait another day to check your smoke detectors. It could just make all the difference in an emergency.
Bill Primavera is a Realtor with Coldwell Banker and writes as The Home Guru about the real estate market and all things relevant to home maintenance and improvement. He can be reached at bill@PrimaveraHomes.com or directly at 914-522-2076.