We asked you, our readers, to tell us what you think about Costco coming into town.
Here is what some of you said:
Francis T. McVetty, Yorktown Heights
- I favor the building of Costco here in Yorktown. The parcel of land that Costco will be built on is an eye sore to the community. It produces NO revenue for the town in property taxes. It also does not produce any jobs for our town residents. Some say that it will put BJ's out of business. That may or may not happen. That is up to American free enterprise system. I do hope that the town will look at this project and NOT take too much time in making a decision. The town of Yorktown has this habit of stalling projects like this until the builder or company just gets tired and moves on. I don't say rush into this BUT lets make it a priority to make a decision in a timely manner. It took the town over two years to look at the expansion of the IBM facility on Strang Boulevard. IBM didn't have time to wait and moved its facility to Somers. The facility was closed on Strang Boulevard and a non-tax paying college was its replacement. Lets hope that the Chamber of Commerce does its job and advocates for its building. This would be a good start.
- I think it is a great idea and we need something closer to home so we don’t have to go to Danbury! Keep the shopping in Westchester! Local!
- Did anyone notice how BJ's changed their store around? Are they feeling threatened? I think it will increase traffic a little but that area is such an eyesore that I'll take the improvements Costco is willing to provide.
James Pietrangolare, Somers
- Looking forward to it, Costco will blow BJ's away. More variety to choose from. Being the only game in town for a long time, BJ's lost its edge, now that Costco is coming they decided to upgrade the store.
Laurie Hander Leahy, Yorktown Heights
- I look forward to having Costco available to us. It is the best of the big box
stores and we suffer so in this town monopolized by A&P.
Lisa Graham, Yorktown
- I don't think a Costco is the best use of that site, as BJ's is just down the hill. I much preferred the type of proposal made a few years ago, which is a plaza of smaller stores, some upscale clothing stores, maybe a few unique gift shops and other retail since our mall is one short breath from death. I actually live right by the prospective Costco site, and am dreading the extra traffic, but know that anything would be better than that embarrassing eyesore that sits there right now. And we desperately need the tax revenue! My kids are so bummed that the IHOP/Pizza Hut deal fell through just down the hill! I just can't believe that we are entertaining the idea of a Costco right up the hill from BJ'S when there are countless other options. But the town's reputation is such that is a losing battle to try to build or develop anything here that few want to try.
Feel free to continue the conversation and weigh in by commenting below.