For the third year in a row, residents are invited to see another part of town, celebrate Mohegan Lake and its community and learn more about water quality.
Members of the Mohegan Lake Improvement District are sponsoring "Lake Day" this Sunday, July 15. There will be different events planned around the beaches throughout the day. Ken Belfer, president of the Mohegan Lake Improvement District said while "Lake Day" is mostly attended by the residents around the lake, everyone is invited to attend.
There are six beaches, some privately owned and some owned by homeowner associations with specific usage restrictions.
Here is the schedule of events at Mohegan Highlands Beach (on Mohegan Avenue):
- 1 p.m. Wildlife rehabilitator Patricia Johnson will talk about turtles
- 1:30 p.m. Presentation of 6th grade science project on the 'Effect of Fertilizer of Lake'
- 1:45 p.m. Randall Duggan, water testing volunteer, will talk about Mohegan Lake water quality
Here is the schedule of events at Mohegan Beach Park (on Lakeshore Drive and Christine Avenue):
- 2 p.m. Tom Maietto, local fishing expert, will talk about fish species and how to catch the big ones.
Schedule of events at Section 1 Beach (off Lakefront and Crawford):
- 2:45 p.m. Aquatice plants in the lake, weed harvester demonstration
- Boat races (register before 3 p.m.): Canoes are at 3 p.m.; Rowboats at 3:20 p.m., Kayaks at 3:40 p.m. and Sailboats at 4:15 p.m. (Personal floatation devices are mandatory for all racers)
Schedule of events at Amazon Beach (off Wenonah Trail):
- 4:30 p.m. Meet and greet, beach games
Schedule of events at Mohegan Colony Beach (end of Oak/High):
- 6:30 p.m. Pot luck dinner (bring a dish)
- 7 p.m. Live music
- 8:30 p.m. Outdoor movie (bring your own chairs and popcorn)
The rain date for Mohegan Lake's "Lake Day" is Sunday, July 22.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.