The Somers Emergency Preparedness Committee wants resident to be prepared as Hurricane Sandy rolls in.
The Emergency Shelter, located at the Heritage Hills Activity Center in Somers, is now open and available for all Somers residents. Residents are urged not to travel before the storm arrives and if anyone plans on going to the emergency shelter to do so before the storm arrives.
Somers residents can subscribe for information in case of an emergency – click on CodeRED to receive emergency notifications by phone, email and text. You can check the Somers Town website for important information about emergency plans.
Somers officials are also reminding residents to call 911 only in an emergency such as an ambulance, fire or police emergency.
The following information is provided by the town of Somers and posted on the town's website.
- Somers Court has been canceled for Monday, Oct. 29
- The Somers Nutrition Center is closed. There will be no home deliveries on Monday, Oct. 29 and Tuesday, Oct. 30 for Somers, North Salem and Lewisboro
- The Somers Library is closed on Monday.
- Somers schools are closed on Monday and Tuesday
Before a Storm:
- Check flashlights and radios for batteries. Obtain non-perishable food and water. Charge your cell phone. Make sure you have several days supply of any required medications.
Somers Emergency Shelter:
- The shelter is located at the Heritage Hills Activity Center. Cots, toiletries, pillows and blankets are provided. Food will be available if necessary, but it is recommended that anyone who comes to the shelter bring dry food, water, medication and necessary personal items. In the event that the Heritage Hills activity center is unavailable, the Somers Middle School is an alternate shelter location. Click here for the Town of Somers Heritage Hills Activities Building Shelter Plan.
- New York Sports Club in Baldwin Place will provide showers to residents without power
- Dr. Immerblum at the Golden’s Bridge Veterinary Center will provide pet sheltering when necessary.
- When power is expected to be out for an extended period the town of Somers will obtain dry ice from NYSEG as soon as NYSEG makes it available. It will be distributed at Van Tassell Park, 98 Route 139 (Primrose Street) and the Somers Police Station, 100 Route 139 (Primrose Street).
- Water will be available at the Amawalk Fire House and the Granite Springs Fire House. It is self serve. Bring your own container. Fill bathtubs with water before a storm.
During the Storm:
- If the weather is bad do not attempt to leave your home during a storm. Wait until the weather has cleared to come to the shelter. If you have an emergency during the storm dial 911.
Local Business with Generators:
- A-AMP Electric, phone 914-621-4482, certified generator dealer and installer
Businesses with generators that will be open during a power outage to assist residents:
- Rick DiNardo, Il Forno Trattoria, 914-277-7575
- Best Plumbing Tile and Stone, 914-232-2020
Find all news Sandy in our Yorktown-Somers Storm Hub here. As you snap your storm photos, add them to our viewer gallery here.