Most families will have a bit of downtime this weekend, even with celebrating some of the high holy days of Passover and Easter. Not sure what to do? Looking to escape for a bit of adult time? No matter what you want to add to your calendar there is an event for you.
• Barney Live in Concert: The purple dinosaur, Barney, is in town just in time for Spring Break and his birthday. Many of his friends will be joining in the fun that finds kids dancing in the aisles.
Where/When: , 198 Central Ave., White Plains; Thursday, April 21, 10:30 a.m., 3 p.m., and 6:30 p.m.
Why Go: Spring Break for many means the weekend comes early this week. A show for the young set is a great way to enjoy just a little bit of spring indoors with bright and cheery music and dancing.
Pricing: $21.50 - $101.50
Contact Info: (914) 995-4050
• School’s Out, Art’s In: Katonah Museum of Art Children’s Learning Center keeps creativity fun.
Where/When: : Katonah Museum of Art Children's Learning Center, Katonah; each weekday of the break: Wed., April 20, Textured Art; Thursday, April 21, Watercolor Abstraction; Friday, April 22, Unusual Materials; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Why Go: Children, (6 and under need an adult with them), learn how to make art come alive by observing the exhibits and then doing their own projects.
Pricing: $3 members, $6 non-members.
Contact Info: (914) 232-9555 ext. 0
• Earth Day at the Farm: Hiking, composting and touring the farm are all part of Hilltop Hanover Farm’s Earth Day celebration.
Where/When: : Hilltop Hanover Farm, 1271 Hanover St., Yorktown Heights; Sat., April 23, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Why Go: Hilltop has a way of making nature fun for the whole family. You won’t get through the day without learning something and enjoying a little bit of rural fun in the process.
Pricing: free, except for composting workshop: $20 (resgistration for workshop is required)
Contact Info: (914) 962-2368 ext. 2
• Easter Eggs in Yorktown: If you thought all the eggs were found last week, think again. A whole new hunt will begin this Saturday.
Where/When: Yorktown Assembly of God, 253 Mahopac Ave., Yorktown; Sat., April 23, 10:30 a.m.
Why Go: There are more than 5,000 candy filled eggs to be found. Concessions and inflatables are also on hand.
Contact Info: (914) 628-7444
• “Animal Visions” at Flat Iron Gallery: Artist and illustrator, Bruce Waldman’s monoprints and etchings of animals and Bernice Entin’s ceramic animal sculptures and watercolors have their final weekend at the gallery through April 24.
Where/When: : Flat Iron Gallery, 105 South Division St., Peekskill; Thursday through Sunday from Noon to 6 p.m.
Why Go: These artists bring a wonderful combination of artistic approaches to a topic everyone knows—animals.
Contact Info: (914) 734-1894
• The Chad McLoughlin Trio: This trio is known for being versatile and innovative.
Where/When: : The Bean Runner Café, 201 South Division St., Peekskill; Friday, April 22, 7:30 to 10:30 p.m.
Why Go: Live music, Mexican food, Friday night—what a combination.
Contact Info: (914) 737-1701
•Rabies Vaccinations: Dogs and cats are invited with their owners to the Cortlandt Animal Hospital for a day of vaccinations.
Where/When: Cortlandt Animal Hospital, 1 Dogwood Rd., Cortlandt Manor; Sat., April 23, 1-4 p.m.
Why Go: Spring is a good time to remember to take care of your pets for when they may spend more time outdoors.
Pricing: free, appointments necessary
Contact Info: (914) 737-3608.
• Singin in the Rain: The Westchester Broadway Theatre brings this hit musical to life.
Where/When: Westchester Broadway Theatre, 1 Broadway Plaza, Elmsford; All times are when cocktails begin. Curtain is two hours later: Friday and Saturday evening 6 p.m.; Sunday matinee 11:30 a.m., Sunday evening 5 p.m. (Weekday matinees are also available.)
Why Go: With all the rain this April, you might as well find a reason to sing about it to tunes you have known for a lifetime. Reviews have been strong and this show will be leaving Westchester before summer.
Contact Info: (914) 592-2222
• Clearwater Generations: An Earth Day Celebration to Benefit Clearwater: Support the Clearwater while hearing Pete Seeger and friends in a concert on Earth Day.
Where/When: Tarrytown Music Hall, 13 Main Street, Tarrytown; Friday, April 22, 8 p.m.
Why Go: The list of performers is a virtual who’s who from the Pete Seeger generation.
Pricing: $48 to $98
Contact Info: (877) 840-0457
AutoPilot in Concert: Rock and Blues come to the Cove.
Where/When: The Cove (formerly Crystal Bay), Peekskill; Friday, April 22, 9 p.m.
Why Go: Live music with a Hudson River Rock and Blues group makes for a great Spring night with no cover charge.
Pricing: no cover charge, just the price of what you eat
Contact Info: (917) 912-2153