Momentum is mounting for Support Connection's 18th Annual Support-A-Walk," to be held at Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park in Yorktown Heights on Sunday, Oct. 7 in support of breast and ovarian cancer causes.
No fees are charged to register or attend and there is no minimum required to make a donation.
A Walk T-shirt can be purchased and picked up the day before the event at the Support Connection office in Yorktown Heights for a donation of $50 and additonal T-shirts are available at $25 each. If not sold out in advance, T-shirts will also be available for purchase at the walk.
Helping to conduct the fundraising three-mile walk as honorary chairpersons will be local radio personalties Kacey Morabito Grean of 100.7 WHUD's Mike and Kacey in the Morning, and Matt Sampson, News12 Westchester/Hudson Valley morning and daytime co-anchor.
Support Connection, the event organizer, offers emotional, social and educational services to women affected by breast and ovarian cancer. Its services include counseling, support groups, referral and information services, and a toll-free cancer information and support hotline (1-800-532-4290).
"Participants of all ages compete, often in honor of loved ones – a celebration of life and a tribute to those who are affected by breast and ovarian cancer," Director of Services and Communications for Support Connection Barbara Cervoni said.
"In 1911, Support-A-Walk had more than 9,000 participants and it raised over $240,000," Cervoni said.
The activity schedule planned for the 2012 Support-A-Walk:
- 9 a.m. Registration for those not preregistered
- 9 a.m. Live music, face painting, members of walking teams group assemble
- 9:15 a.m. Welcoming ceremonies
- 9:30 a.m. Warm-up and stretching to music. Led by Club Fit members
- 10 a.m. Ribbon cutting. Walk begins
- After the walk. Free refreshments, music and raffle.
Grean, a native of Verplanck, attended Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry and is a resident of Cold Spring. Sampson, formerly a CNN overseas correspondent, is a graduate of Hackley School in Tarrytown and Cornell University in Ithaca.
Companies represented with walking teams or acting as sponsors include Maid Brigade, KBK Designs, Raymond Opticians, Absolute Flooring, Berardis Chiropractic, Skinchanted, Club Fit, Yorktown Radiation Oncology, Don Tommaso's Bistro Italiano, the Mansion at Colonial Terrace, Events to Remember, Buzz Potential, Halston Media, Bellway Electrical Contracting, Ross and Associates, Houlihan Lawrence, Clear Channel Outdoor, Examiner Media, Foley Graphics and A. DeVito & Son.
Other coming Support Connection activities:
- Oct. 4. Breast Cancer Support Group. 7-9 p.m. NWH at Chappaqua Crossing (Readers Digest)
- Oct. 6. Yoga-A Path to Wellness. Noon to 1:30 p.m. Club Fit, Jefferson Valley
- Oct. 9. Breast & Ovarian Cancer Support Group. 10:15 a.m. to 12:25 p.m. East Fishkill Community Library
- Oct. 9. Whole Food Cooking Simplified. United Methodist Church. Katonah
- Oct. 10. Young Women's Breast Support Group. 7 to 9 p.m. Support Connection office.
- Oct. 10. Ovarian Cancer Toll-fee telephone conference.
Support Connection staff members include Executive Director Katherine Quinn, Development and Outreach Coordinator Michelle DeIeso, Andrea Karl, Robin Perlmutter, Maelene Stager, Dee Ruza and Kaurey Foley.
Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park is located at 2957 Crompound Road (Route 202) in Yorktown Heights.
For more information about the walk, check out our article Somers Woman to Walk in Memory of Mother Lost to Breast Cancer.
Support Connection is located at 40 Triangle Center, suite 100, Yorktown Heights. All of its services are provided free of charge.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.