High Spirits matched the glory of a gorgeous autumn weekend as visitors and award winners enjoyed the floral display at Lasdon Park over the weekend (Sept. 21-23) at with an animal theme.
A panel of nationally accredited judges presented awards to winners from a cross section of the 30 Westchester and Putnam County and Bronx garden clubs that comprise the Ninth District of the Federated Garden Clubs of New York State.
With three spectacular floral designs—including a towering construction of orchids, loofa sponges and other materials—Dee Aspros of the Pound Ridge and the New Horizons Garden Clubs took the Design Excellence, Table Artistry and Designer’s Choice awards in the design division. Charlotte Spiers of Bedford’s Hopp Ground Garden Club was the top winner for in the Horticulture Division with a lush combination planter of herbs. Evelyn Tapani Rosenthal of Hopp Ground Garden Club won two awards for miniature design. In the Special Exhibits Division, the Educational Award went to Denise Mayne of Hopp Ground Garden Club.
In the Youth category, top awards were garnered by Charlotte Wright of Chappaqua for a plaque based on the theme of “Swimmin' With the Fishes" ” and by Nina and Lanna Plateroti of Mahopac, each of whom did a plaque and a desert-style terrarium.
Other major award winners in the Design Division were:
- Barbara Schaefer of the Mahopac and New Horizons Garden Clubs
- Gwen Court of Greenburgh’s Parkway Homes Garden Club
- Maggie Limburg of Armonk’s Green Acres Garden Club
- Judy Kennedy and Connie Marchetti of Pound Ridge Garden Club.
Award winners for horticulture included:
- Sheila McSpedon of Hopp Ground
- Terry Marchica of Briarcliff Garden Club
- Helen Lindsay of Peekskill Garden Club
- Virginia Todar, Connie Marchetti and Mary Miranda of Pound Ridge Garden Club
- Dot Leslie of Peekskill Garden Club.
The flower show is a biannual event so look for it again in 2014!